• Nick DeRiso describes Larry Brown Amen by Missing Cats as "genre-busting instrumental creativity."
Nick DeRiso wrote, "Larry Brown Amen thrums with sounds from every corner of the American experience... The album seems to get its power from the shared sense of camaraderie. Friends for some 25 years, Ewing and Hermann play like it - and that, too, recalls the finish-your-sentence sense of community that defined the Band's early recordings."
Read Nick DeRiso's full review of Missing Cats - Larry Brown Amen (2012).
• On August 12, 2012, Jack Goodstein wrote about Larry Brown Amen and Missing Cats for BlogCritics, "Rock and roll roots with an edge... gritty blues... an auspicious debut album... breadth and originality... melds that originality with some of the best in tradition. The album is a masterful amalgam of new ideas in older forms. It is a pleasure to listen to these musicians."
Read Jack Goodstein's full review of Missing Cats - Larry Brown Amen.
• Nick DeRiso interviews "Roots rocker Sherman Ewing" - April 25, 2011.
• USA TODAY's music critics spotlight spin-worthy current albums bubbling beneath the hyped hits. Elysa Gardner wrote, "Ewing's rootsy, accessible tunes have a wry lyricism that suggests a hard-won emotional integrity - and make Saloon's sentimental flourishes not just pardonable, but endearing."
See the review in USA TODAY on Feb. 26, 2011. (Link opens in new tab/window.)
On March 1, Elysa Gardner wrote in USA TODAY about one of her favorite songs on the album, The Mission, "A wry, mournful edge belies the deceptively catchy melody of this standout track from Ewing's Single Room Saloon."
• Read Sherman's interview with Alex Lupul of Melodic.net on January 12, 2011.
Sherman talks about his new album, Single Room Saloon, the industry today, and his own nearest future. (Note: Link above opens in a new tab or window.)
• Jack Goodstein's review of Sherman Ewing's Single Room Saloon on January 7, 2011 (links open in a new tab or window):
Music Review at BlogCritics.org
Music Review at NoDepression.com
"This ten-song rock, pop, country collection runs the gamut from haunting bluesy social commentary to introspective soul searching, from upbeat swinging melodies to anarchic cacophonies. His lyrics are personal and emblematic of a generation. Ewing is a singer-songwriter with something to say and he says it with a raw honesty that will remind you of early Dylan..."
"This may be pop music, but it is pop music as art."
• Headline at Examiner.com, Nov. 22, 2010 (Link opens in a new tab or window):
"Sherman Ewing album to feature Bob Dylan's rhythm section"
• Download the 2nd Press Release for Sherman's new CD, Single Room Saloon:
ShermanEwing-SingleRoomSaloon-PR-011911.pdf (983 KB)
• Download the 1st Press Release for Sherman's new CD, Single Room Saloon:
ShermanEwing-SingleRoomSaloon-PR-111910.pdf (496 KB)
• Download a transcript of Sherman's 2001 interview with Tipitina's John D'Aquila:
ShermanEwing-Tipitinas-Interview-2001.pdf (28 KB)
The mission of the Tipitina's Foundation is to support Louisiana and New Orleans' irreplaceable music community and preserve their unique musical cultures.